Don’t Let Them Stop Your Show!


https://www.change.org/p/planes-of-fame-air-museum-don-t-let-them-stop-our-air-show

Via Planes of Fame…

Dear Planes of Fame Friends and Family,
A lawsuit has been brought against the Planes of Fame Air Museum by the Yanks Air Museum, Flying Tigers Aviation, SOCAL MRO, and Zangeneh Aeronautics with the sole intent to stop the 25th Annual Planes of Fame Air Show at Chino Airport slated for May 6 & 7, 2017.

The annual Air Show is one of the few remaining events in Southern California where visitors from around the world can enjoy the sights and sounds of aircraft from the Golden Age of Aviation flying overhead. Each year the Air Show attracts thousands of families, aviation enthusiasts, and others who come together to witness rare and historic aircraft, as well as some of the most talented aviators take to the skies. The Planes of Fame Air Show at Chino Airport is considered one of the top five air shows in the country.

As a non-profit, 501c.3 organization, the annual Air Show serves as the primary fundraising effort for the Planes of Fame Air Museum. Revenue from the annual Air Show helps us to carry on our mission to preserve aviation history, inspire an interest in aviation, education of the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans. And as this year’s Air Show marks the 60th anniversary of the founding of Planes of Fame Air Museum, we have seen how our mission has impacted multiple generations of families, and is introducing aviation to entirely new generations.
For the local community, the annual Air Show provides an economic stimulus to local businesses and entrepreneurs both on and nearby the airport. For the City of Chino and the County of San Bernardino, the Air Show provides increased visibility as thousands of visitors flock to the Chino Airport for the show.

Help us save the Air Show! We are asking our friends, visitors, community, and colleagues to join together to support the Air Show. Please send us a note or letter indicating your backing of the Air Show and be sure to include your thoughts on why it needs to continue. WE NEED RESPONSES BY APRIL 4, 2017 – PLEASE ACT NOW!
Please send all comments, concerns and questions to [email protected] AND
Sign Online petition at https://www.change.org/p/planes-of-fame-air-museum-don-t-let-them-stop-our-air-show

Proud Bird to Remain Open

The Proud Bird, the historic LAX restaurant that has been a hangout for some of the nation’s biggest aviation pioneers, will remain open for at least another year after the owner was able to secure a temporary new lease from the Los Angeles World Airports.

John Tallichet had announced last month that the restaurant would close, after an unsuccessful two-year effort to negotiate a new long-term lease. He said he remained hopeful a last-minute deal could save the restaurant that his father, a bomber pilot during World War II, had opened.

After an outpouring of community support, Tallichet pledged to keep the Proud Bird open until late December and Thursday evening announced he had a deal with the airport to keep the property open for at least another year while he negotiated a long-term lease.

The restaurant has a collection of 20 historic aircraft and hundreds of photographs that document the long history of aerospace in Southern California.

The biggest names in aerospace have sat at the bar and restaurant here to watch the planes land on the nearby LAX runway — people such as Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh and Neil Armstrong.

The Proud Bird has long been one of the main gathering places for the engineers, production workers and aviators of the Los Angeles aerospace industry, which is clustered around LAX. Boeing, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman all have major factories, laboratories and offices nearby.

The airport has offered some possible solutions and Tallichet said he is continuing to explore ways to reduce the expenses of a new lease. Originally, the airport wanted to boost the rent from $200,000 per year to $500,000, citing a federal law that requires it to charge market-based rent.

The new deal will cut that increase to some extent, but Tallichet said he still expects to lose money in the short term as he tries to restore his business. If he can get a long-term lease, Tallichet has said he intends to invest $1 million in upgrades to the restaurant and banquet facility.

Story from LA Times – Original artical here.

Skunkworks SR-72 Revealed

SR-72

SR-72 Concept via Lockheed Skunkworks.

It looks like Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works, the legendary division that designed airplanes which represented a giant leap for their times such as the F-104, the U-2, the Blackbird family or the F-117A stealth fighter jet, has eventually revelead to AW&ST’s Guy Norris the existence of a project for an Hypersonic strike aircraft dubbed SR-72.

“After years of silence on the subject, Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works has revealed exclusively to AW&ST details of long-running plans for what it describes as an affordable hypersonic intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) and strike platform that could enter development in demonstrator form as soon as 2018. Dubbed the SR-72, the twin-engine aircraft is designed for a Mach 6 cruise, around twice the speed of its forebear, and will have the optional capability to strike targets.”

AW&ST has the detailed story of the new platform, that guided by the X-51, Falcon HTV-2 and other hypersonic development programs on which U.S.’s perspective strike capability is being tailored, will be capable to hit or perform ISR of fast-moving targets, located in high-lethality areas at intercontinental ranges.

Interestingly, a Lockheed SR-72 concept image was released. The shape is coherent with the most recent hypersonic designs and it is quite similar to at least one of those published in April 2013 on LM’s Code One article about the configurations studied since the early ’60s for an SR-71 Blackbird replacement.

Noteworthy, the shape and operational speed of the U.S. next generation strike bomber is much different from Russia’s next generation stealth strategic bomber PAK-DA concept.

Above article from David Cenciotti of the Aviationist here.
AW&ST Article is here.

Nellis Cancels Aviation Nation 2013

3/26/2013 – NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — The 99th Air Base Wing Commander, Col. Barry Cornish, announced the cancellation of Aviation Nation 2013 scheduled for Nov. 9-10.

“Aviation Nation is a very popular event for our community, and I deeply regret our inability to host a Nellis Open House this year,” Cornish said. “However, due to the effect of the Budget Control Act of 2011 and associated sequestration, the defense budget cuts for fiscal year 2013 are approximately $46 billion by law and must be accomplished by October 2013. To meet this obligation, the U.S. Air Force has prioritized combat readiness over other activities and air shows have been cancelled as a result.”

Read the full article here.

Air Force Cuts Aviation Support for Public Events

News snippet from Air Force news. Follow the link below to read the full article.

3/1/2013 – WASHINGTON — As the Air Force braces for sequester, leadership has cancelled all aviation support to public events for at least the remainder of the fiscal year and is standing down the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team to save flying hours to support readiness needs.

Effective March 1, active-duty, Reserve and Guard units will cease all aviation support to the public. This includes the cancellation of support to all air shows, tradeshows, flyovers (including funerals and military graduations), orientation flights, heritage flights, F-22 Raptor demonstration flights and open houses, unless the event includes only local static assets.

Additionally, the Air Force will cancel the Thunderbirds’ entire 2013 season beginning April 1.

Click Here to continue reading.

Update on Sequestration and the Air Show Industry

A snippet of a news article by ICAS on the affect of Sequestration and air shows. Link to full article below.

By now, most ICAS members in the U.S. have seen news items like this and this reporting that the Blue Angels’ 2013 air show season may be in jeopardy if the federal government does not take action to avoid mandatory budget cuts. If these cuts are allowed to be made, they will impact not just the Blue Angels, but all aspects of the U.S. military’s involvement in air shows.

The road to possible sequestration cuts has been a long and complicated one. These cuts may have a significant impact on the entire U.S. air show community, so it’s important that ICAS members familiarize themselves with the evolution and newest developments in this crisis. This article in Slate.com, a politics- and commentary-oriented website, provides just such an overview (along with a bit of commentary). This article in Politico.com, a politically oriented newspaper and website, reveals why additional extensions to the sequestration deadline are not likely to avoid short-term budgetary pressure on the Pentagon and, by extension, the impact of that pressure on the U.S. air show community. USA Today published this article outlining in general terms the military’s likely approach to sequestration cost-cutting tactics. This article from a Florida news website explains how even the congressman who represents Pensacola, the home of the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, is suggesting that the Blue Angels may become a victim of indiscriminate budgetary cuts…cuts that were originally approved precisely because they would be so impractical and unappealing that they would prompt elected representatives to reach a compromise on the difficult issues related to deficit reduction…

Click Here to continue reading.